This a sponsored post with Expressions Vinyl, but all opinions are mine alone.
Father’s Day is around the corner, and for me this one is a toughie. Don’t get me wrong, I love celebrating the dad’s in my world but MAN can they be tricky to buy for. I mean, you can only give so many ties or sports memorabilia or grilling tools before everybody gets super bored. That’s why this year I wanted to step outside of the box a little bit and make something handmade for the dads.
Now, I know, handmade gifts for dudes can also be tricky since males don’t typically appreciate things that are decoupaged or scrapbooked, however, everyone loves a good smelling space and a sleek design, so we decided make these Handmade Super Dad Candles! These babies are so easy to make and come in a cool masculine design on Expression’s Vinyl Reflective Vinyl that your dads will love seeing on their desk AND that will serve as the perfect reminder of how awesome they are! Here’s how you make them:
Acrylic Craft Paint + Brush
Soy candle wax
Candle wick with fastener
Craft Cutter (I use a Silhouette Cameo 3)
Expressions Vinyl Reflective Vinyl
- Paint the exterior of your jar with acrylic craft paint. Apply two coats and let dry completely.
2. Make and pour your candles. For a step by step guide to doing these, we recommend heading back to this post where we made candles. However, instead of the citronella essential oils like we used in that post, you are going to want to add something more masculine for the dads! Some fun ideas we have tried include:
Fresh Cut Grass:
12 drops Basil essential oil
6 drops White Fir essential oil
13 drops Wild Orange essential oil
13 drops Bergamot essential oil
Woodsy Black Licorice:
8 drops Fennel essential oil
8 drops Cypress essential oil
8 drops Wild Orange essential oil
32 drops Sandalwood essential oil
8 drops Lime essential oil
8 drops Wintergreen essential oil
32 drops Lime essential oil
24 drops Fennel essential oil
16 drops Patchouli essential oil
You can use these recipes, or play around with your own combinations of whatever essential oils you have on hand or whatever scents your dad might like!
3. Once your candles are made it’s time to cut your design. We loved using Expressions Vinyl Reflective Vinyl for this project. It is such a great quality, cuts beautifully, stays put, and it catches in such a fun way since it is reflective. Expressions Vinyl has such an insane selection of vinyl from patterned, to neon, to everything in between, making all of your projects one of a kind!
Once you have selected your vinyl you can use a craft cutter of your choice to cut your design. You can find the design I used right here in a Silhouette file and here, here, and here in a JPEG, then download it and open it in your craft cutter software!
4. Next, remove the backing from your vinyl, and apply to your jar, using a vinyl application tool to rub on with a little pressure.
5. Lastly, use your vinyl weeding tool to remove the letters from the design.
That’s it! Now you’re ready to spoil dad with his very own candle that smells great and is the perfect reminder that he is the best.
Aren’t they the funnest? Now you’re set to show your dad you care in a way cooler way than a boring old necktie!