Remember when this blog used to be party decorations and craft workshops and ideas for your holiday gatherings? What. a. TIME. I can’t wait until making memories altogether is the norm again, but for now, finding simple ways to be creative at home is what is fueling me. (And I mean SIMPLE.) Today I’m going to show you a fun craft I did with the kids over the weekend that got my maker wheels turning in such an unexpected way, and the supplies are as simple as you can get — we made bean mosaic art!
Making art with beans is surprisingly cool. You can make any design (like these animals from Handmade Charlotte) and the beans give it an awesome texture that makes your ideas pop! We all loved thinking up a design, using beans of all sizes to make it come to life, and adding gorgeous colors. Here’s how to do it:
Supplies needed to make your own Bean Mosaic Art
How to make your own Bean Mosaic Art
1. Using a pen or pencil, draw out your design on your paper plate. We found that simple shapes worked best.
2. Trace a section of your design and fill it in using glue. (We found it was easiest to work in sections so that you would have fewer mess-ups when painting.)
3. Apply beans to the section you glued. Let dry completely. While it is drying, feel free to start on another design on another plate.
4. Once the section is dry, paint the beans in the desired colors. Apply two coats, if needed.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 on the design, glueing and paint beans until you have completed your artwork!
Guys. We are bean artists. I had no idea this would be my life’s calling, but I am ready to devote all I have to it. (LOL) You and your kids are going to love how therapeutic and relaxing this little project is and the possibilities of what you can make are endless!
For more kid's crafts ideas, visit these posts: