Apple picking season is just around the corner, and we are starting to get excited! We love heading to a local orchard and picking apples fresh from the tree. And even though we usually return from our adventures with apples coming out of our ears, I love using all the delicious apples in fun and different ways. One of my favorite ways is making this Apple Cinnamon Fruit Leather! This is the most simple recipe that requires zero special equipment. Plus, it is so delicious that the sheets just disappear minutes after they cool from the oven. Here is how you do it:
- 4 cups of peeled, chopped apples
- ½ cup water
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash, peel, and chop apples and place them in a medium saucepan.
- Add ½ cup water and simmer. Cover and cook about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add granulated sugar and cinnamon. Cook 2-3 more minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Put mixture into a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Pour onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread with a spatula into a thin layer.
- Bake at 170ºF for 2-3 hours or until it's tacky.
- Let cool and peel off in strips. Roll strips and store in an air-tight container or serve immediately.
This apple cinnamon fruit leather is a must make! You get all of the feelings of eating store-bought fruit roll ups without any of the yucky additives, making it a fun and healthy snack. And you can make this exact recipe with applesauce if you have that on hand! Just skip the stove top steps and spread it on your parchment, sprinkle with cinnamon, and follow the same baking directions. However, be ready to get your hands on a couple of strips fast once you pull them out… they’ll go fast!
Need more ways to use up those extra apples? We’ve got you covered!