These Coconut Key Lime Floats were originally created for SoFab Food.
These Coconut Key Lime Floats aren’t your grandma’s boring root beer floats! This blissful treat is deceptively easy to make using homemade, no-churn ice cream and key lime soda. It’s time to celebrate summer!
With the kids out of school now, I’m starting to get that feeling in my bones that summer might actually be here, and it is joyous! That means that we can shake the dust from our ice cream makers and popsicle molds and start making all of the delicious frozen things. I love making frozen treats in the summer and using all sorts of fresh flavors to change things up and make them delicious, and making frozen pops and ice cream is a great way to get the kids involved in the kitchen. To celebrate this season of fun, I am sharing one of my favorite summertime recipes for beating the heat and staying cool with these Coconut Key Lime Floats!
Coconut Key Lime Floats Recipe
These floats are deceptively easy to make and are full of tropical flavors! The ice cream is no churn, only has three ingredients, does’t require an ice cream maker, and the result is so creamy and amazing. Then, topping it off with a little key lime soda takes the flavor to the next level of summer deliciousness. These aren’t your grandma’s boring root beer floats, these babies are next level! You are going to love them.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup cream of coconut (Cream of coconut is not the same thing as coconut milk. You’ll find it near the drink mixers section of the store.)
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 24 oz key lime soda
- Chill a large mixing bowl along with the beaters from your electric mixer (or whisk attachment of a stand mixer) in the fridge for about 15 minutes until cool. Remove from the refrigerator and pour the whipping cream into the chilled bowl. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently stir in the cream of coconut and sweetened coconut.
- Spoon into a freezer-safe container, cover, and freeze for about 4 hours or overnight.
- Scoop two scoops of coconut ice cream to chilled glasses.
- Pour desired amount of key lime soda over ice cream and enjoy immediately.
- Note: If you don't have key lime soda on hand, this ice cream recipe is so adaptable! It would be great with a variety of sodas poured over it to make different flavor combinations (we tried pineapple soda and cola before and it was delish!), or it is great on it's own!
Doesn’t it look delicious? Floats are such a quintessential summer treat and these flavors will make you feel like your kitchen is a tropical paradise! You won’t believe the creamy texture of the ice cream and the coconut flavor is decadent. Plus, anyone can make this recipe because it requires zero special equipment and only the tiniest bit of prep. It is a total crowd pleaser! I love adding a little squeeze of lime for garnish and adding a fun spoon to make it extra festive!
What are your favorite beverage concoctions for summertime? Tell us in the comments!