These House Planters were originally created for Consumer Crafts.
This time of year, I can’t help myself from painting flowers and making bunnies and whipping up lots of planters to put green things in. One product of this impulse are these fun and colorful DIY wood and plexiglass house planters! They are such a happy way to “house” your plants and they will bring all the spring feels into your decor. Here’s how to make them:
Supplies to make your own DIY Wood and Plexiglass House Planters:
Unfinished Wood Houses (I used this size and this size)
Acrylic Craft Paint
Screws and Drill
- Begin by cutting your plexiglass to size. If you are confident with a glass cutter you can do this on your own by measuring, marking, and cutting it with your glass cutter. I am not confident with a glass cutter so I took mine to a local hardware store where they cut mine for a small fee. I cut my glass to be 3 inches tall for both houses and as wide as the house that it would be attached to.
- Next, paint one side of the glass. Apply enough coats that the color is opaque through the glass. Let dry completely.
3. Paint the house. I chose to paint just the front edge, but you can paint any part of the surface of the house that you’d like! Apply two coats and let dry completely.
4. Once the paint is dry on the houses and the glass, attach the glass to the houses using screws and a drill. Place the glass on the house where you would like it attached, then drill a hole (slowly and using a tiny bit so as not to crack the glass) through the glass and then house. Once all four holes are drilled, screw in the screws until tightened.
5. Plant your plants! You can do this a couple of different ways. One is that you could plant your plants in small pots and then place them inside the houses. Or, if you attach your plexiglass to the house so there are no gaps between the house and the glass, you could plant the plants directly into the houses. Or, you could plant them in the houses using small planting trays, which is what I did.
That’s it! Now you are ready to display your darling little houses. You could put these on shelves, hang them on the wall, put them on your porch or give them as gifts to someone who needs their day brightened!
I love all of the different materials and elements at play with this project: the shiny glass, the brass screws, the neutral wood, the bright colors and, of course, the happy plants! Such a simple way to make a bright impact in your home. Happy planting!
Looking for other planter ideas? Check these out!