This blog post has been compensated by Borden® Cheese.
All opinions are mine alone. #BordenCheeseLove #CollectiveBias #Ad
One way I have always combatted the cabin fever that inevitably comes in the depths of winter, is by getting in the kitchen with my kiddos. Mixing up delicious treats, smelling things baking, and eating all the yumminess together is one of the best ways I know to forget that the ground is covered in ice and that we may never see the sun again. This week was a particularly cold and snowy one, so we spent lots of time in the kitchen curing those winter blues and we tried out THE recipe that was the perfect prescription: Homemade Soft Pretzels with Three-Cheese Dip!
This recipe is perfect for kids because it uses frozen dinner rolls, making it so easy and a lot less messy than a recipe with lots of ingredients. My kids loved rolling the balls of dough into long ropes and twisting them into pretzels, watching them boil in the baking soda bath, and then “painting” on the egg wash with a brush. Then while they were baking, we made the most OUTRAGEOUS cheese dip using Borden® Cheese! This cheese dip has a unique and crazy delicious flavor. It’s packed with cheese, the unique flavor of apple cider vinegar, and the tiniest bit of heat from hot sauce. It’s so gooey and melty when it comes out of the oven, and when you dip that warm, homemade pretzel into it, you won’t care if it’s winter forever, as long as you have this recipe.
Here’s how you make it:
Homemade Soft Pretzels with Three-Cheese Dip
For the pretzels:
- 12 frozen dinner rolls
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
For the cheese dip:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup grated Borden® Cheese Sharp Cheddar Shreds
- ¾ cup grated Borden® Cheese Mozzarella Shreds
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar or seltzer water (I like the mildly acidic taste the apple cider vinegar gives the recipe, but if you aren’t a fan or that flavor, go for the selzter.)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- a few dashes hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional, for garnish)
For the pretzels:
- Let frozen rolls thaw until soft and cool.
- Roll one dinner roll into a 12-14 inch rope. Form into a pretzel shape. Repeat with remaining rolls and place on large sprayed baking sheets.
- Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and let rise 30-45 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring water with baking soda to boil. Remove plastic wrap and slip pretzels, a few at a time, into gently boiling water. Boil for 30 seconds on each side.
- Remove with slotted spoon; drain on cooling rack. Brush pretzels with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt. Return to sprayed baking sheet. Bake immediately at 375°F 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
For the cheese dip:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium bowl, stir cream cheese until smooth. Add the grated sharp cheddar cheese and the grated mozzarella, stir to combine.
- Add the garlic powder, apple cider vinegar and hot sauce, stir until completely mixed.
- Pour into two 6 oz. ramekins.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until melted and tops are golden.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired and serve.
Recipe adapted from Fox and Briar
Is your mouth watering yet? The flavor of this cheese dip is outrageous, with the tiniest sour sweet taste from the vinegar and the creaminess of all the delicious cheeses. I love pulling it out of the oven and seeing the perfectly browned tops, and dipping a warm pretzel into the gooey dip.
We had the best time being creative with this recipe and using Borden® Cheese (a product we love that is made with lots of love!) to help create family moments and memories. It was so fun to watch my kids stir, mix and sprinkle the cheese, and even though winter means we are stuck inside a lot of the time, these family moments mean so much. I mean, if eating a gooey recipe packed with Borden® Cheese doesn’t make you feel the love, I don’t know what will.
Looks pretty amazing, right? You HAVE to try this one. So many amazing flavors and textures, and so much warm gooeyness you will be filled with all kinds of happiness. I can’t wait to hear how yours turn out!
I found Borden® Cheese and everything else you need to make this recipe at Weis Markets! Check this store locator to see where you can find it near you.