I have so many favorite fruits and vegetables in season in the summer I sometimes feel pressure to make sure I make and eat all of the recipes I can with them. Watermelon! Avocados! Strawberries! Along with those wonderful treats, I love apricots. I think they are so cute growing on their little trees and I love making all sorts of recipes with them, like the one I am sharing today! The great thing about this one is that it is made with dried apricots , so you can make them year round once you preserve your summer crop. Add to the sweet, chewy apricots some crunchy almonds and rich dark chocolate and you have the perfect, decadent cookie for year-round indulging. Here’s how you make them:
Dark Chocolate Apricot Cookies with Almonds
1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup chopped dried apricots
1 package (12 oz) dark chocolate chipsDIRECTIONS
- 1. Heat oven to 375°F.
- 2. Mix powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, almond extract and egg in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients, except dark chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- 3. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on lined cookie sheet.
- 4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 3 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- 5. In small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips uncovered on High 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until chips are melted. Dip each cookie halfway into melted chocolate, letting excess drip off. Place on waxed paper and let stand until chocolate is set, at least 2 hours. To quickly set chocolate, refrigerate cookies 15 minutes. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature.
Is there anything better than dipping things in chocolate? Cookies, fruit, your hands? Nope, nothing better than that.
Don’t they turn out gorgeous? I love how the apricot and almonds peek out and the contrast of the chocolate on the cookie just adds to the decadence once you take a bite. This mix of flavors is perfect and so moist, crunchy, chewy and delicious!
Nothing better than a great, out of the box cookie recipe, is there? What’s your favorite? Share away!
these look amazing