Oh, 3 o’clock, you rascal. That is definitely the time of day when I board the struggle bus and wish for bedtime. Generally around that time my enthusiasm to be Mary Poppins has dissipated, the house is a crayon and play-doh minefield and I feel like going into the witness protection program. However, I do happen to have a weapon I often deploy for fighting the afternoon slump, and instead of dreading 3pm I’ve started to scheduling a 3pm in the kitchen. With sugar! And flour! And some of my favorite, sure-fire recipes.
So, today I am sharing the most amazing recipe for Carrot Cake Banana Bread, perfect for taking your 3pm break to the next level. It’s 3pm somewhere, guys. Let’s get to the deliciousness:
Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup shredded carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- 1/3 cup Silk Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1/4 cup pecans, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- 4 oz whipped or reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8×4 or 9×5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, quick oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed banana, brown sugar, egg, egg white, and vanilla until well combined and creamy. Add in coconut oil, applesauce and almond milk, then fold in carrots. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in 1/4 cup of pecans.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean with a few crumbs attached.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Remove bread from pan and place on wire rack to finish cooling.
- To make cinnamon cream cheese frosting: Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon together on medium speed for a minute or until smooth. Spread over cooled bread. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons chopped pecans. Cut into 12 slices and enjoy!
Oh, this bread! It is like a carrot cake explosion in the most moist, flavorful, bread loaf. Plus, add that thick, creamy frosting and BAM, mouth party.
What are your tricks for fighting the late afternoon blues? Give it up!
ox. Liz & Sam
This carrot cake bread looks amazing! I'm going to have to try this next Saturday morning for sure!
This looks SO good. I've been craving carrot cake for weeks now, but haven't wanted to go to all the trouble of a full cake, so this might be my simpler solution! And I swear, Silk can do no wrong. I love EVERYTHING I've ever tried from them . . . which is a lot 🙂
Oh my gosh! Good thing we aren't neighbors, I'd be banging down your door for a slice! My mouth is watering. I'm sure it is amazing when paired with the Silk Nutchello! #client
It is SO good! Make it! Make it! Make it!
Ohh my gosh, I’m drooling over here! Looks delish!!! I will definitely have test this baby out. Thanks for sharing xoxo